Monday, July 20, 2009

Thankful


I am so THANKFUL to be a mom. I was reading one of Sheri Dew's books yesterday called "No One Can Take Your Place" and she was discussing the nobility of Motherhood and how it pertains to EVERY woman in different ways whether we are moms, aunts, sisters, YW leaders, RS sisters, the list goes on and on and I was overwhelmed with the enormity of this noble calling and all we need to do to stand UNFLINCHINGLY for what we believe in! We can do it! One of my favorite parts is the quote from Pres. Hinckley that says , "Mothers can do more than any other group to reverse today's sobering social trends. " It also says, " Motherhood is not what was left over after our Father blessed His sons with the privilege of priesthood ordination. It was the most enobling endowment he could give His daughters, a sacred trust that gave woman an unparalleled role in helping His children keep their second estate." For a long time before I met Brant, I wondered if I would have the chance to be a mom and I know there are lots out there who may have not yet had the opportunity to be a mother in this life. I remember aching for the opportunity to be a wife and mother and hoping that I would one day meet Mr. Right and have a family. After finally meeting Brant and getting married, we had a year where we tried to get pregnant and nothing happened, the waiting and wodnering were hard to handle but luckily led us through another path and eventually we were able to get pregnant in the right time frame with sweet Beau. I remember the weeks of bedrest as we waited and hoped and prayed that the pregenancy would go well. I know this life can be hard with different individual trials each of face and for some reason, probably Beau's Birthday, I have been reflecting a lot on motherhood a lot. I loved the part in the book where it states, "For some reasons known to the Lord, some women are required to wait to have children. This delay and disappointment is not easy for any righteous woman. But the Lord's timetable does not negate or cancel out our very nature. Some of us, then, must find other ways to mother. And all around us are those who need to be loved and led, nurtured and mentored. In other words, the spiritual rewards of mothering are available to all." This is extremely enlightening to me knowing how Sheri Dew has admittedly struggled with this herself. This reminded me of how much I truly enjoyed being an aunt before I had Beau and times spent in Primary and YW helping and teaching other's little ones. This book, which I recommend every one read by the way :), really puts motherhood and a lot of different things in life into a great perspective. I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the knowledge the gospel brings into our life. It truly is the "Good News". I can't imagine trying to guide a little life without the strength and guidance it gives. Every question can be answered and the peace and foundation and light it brings is simply amazing. It is easy to get caught up in the ho-hum of everyday life and laundry and dishes and cleaning, but I am grateful for this reminder that Satan will do anything he can do to take out mothers and families as they are the foundation and base of Heavenly Father's plan. We have to stand strong and rejoice in this amazing calling we have as women to be mothers of not only our own kids but to nurture and lead the world with love and paitence! Sorry for the long post, just have a lot on my mind and since this is my journal as well I figured I would put down my thoughts :) I can't believe Beau will be one tomorrow. The last year has been amazing and I have cherished every moment of it. I can't believe how time flies! Oh and last night - Beau walked all the way across the room - Way to go my little man! Mama is so proud of you!

4 comments:

Kiersti said...

Thanks for writing this, Ashley, today I really needed to be reminded of why I'm a mom and how important it is. One of those days. Anyway, thank you!
Kierst

Rach said...

Thanks for sharing! What a great reminder of our wonderful calling to be mothers to our own children and those around us.

Rachelle said...

OH I LOVE THIS POST! I READ THAT BOOK QUITE A FEW MONTHS AGO AND IT AFFECTED ME IN THE SAME WAY...IT REALLY MAKES YOU APPRECIATE HOW LUCKY WE ARE TO BE WOMEN AND HOW SPECIAL IT IS THAT HEAVENLY FATHER ENTRUSTS US TO CARE FOR AND TEACH HIS SPECIAL LITTLE SPIRITS...:)

Janessa said...

Thanks so much Ashley. I was having "a day" with my kids. They were fighting, yelling, and my baby was screaming because she is teething. I said a quick prayer that I would remember why I chose to be a SAH mom. Then I looked on your blog and I was reminded. Thank you. Can't believe your baby is 1!!!! You are a great mom! I really admire you. Keep up the good work. :)